This is the 2 time I make Chinese bread Mantou. This time i decided to make something different by putting black sesame as a flavour taste. Mantou is like a Chinese steam bun. When you look at the recipe and instruction, it looks simple. When you make it, you need to use a lot of strength to knead. The rising process is long at the end. With this recipe, you need to use yeast. Without the yeast this bread will not rise and can not make this Chinese bread Mantou. When steam cooking process the you can smell the black sesame how good it is. It came out very tasty. This bread is good for breakfast or snack. Drinking milk will be a good combination. You will like it.
Try this recipe and enjoy.
1 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt
20g of sugar
30g of Black sesame powder (room temperature)
7g of oil (optional)
150g of luke warm water
1. use a scale and measure all your ingredients before starting and
set it aside.
2. Using a measuring cup pour 150g of luke warm water. Use a baking
thermometer and put it in the measuring cup and make sure the
temperature is around 30-35 degrees. That is when you know the water
is ready. (Note: Make sure to not leave it out too long because it will get cold
and you will have to remake it again)
3. Use a clean bowl and add 1 cup of all purpose flour, a pinch of salt,
20g of sugar, 5g of yeast and 30g of black sesame and 7g of oil.
4. Use a spatula and slowly pour in the water and mix at the same time.
5. When the water is all slowly pour and mix. Continue mixing for a bit.
6. Use your hands in a bowl and knead the dough by using all the strength
from the hands of your palm for about 5-10 min until it is shiny and soft
7. Make it round and let it rest and rise on the bowl, by covering it with a
cloth or a lid for about 10-15 min.
8. put the dough on a clean table or tray surface and continue kneading the
dough for another 5-10 min
9. Dust some flour on your work surface.
10. using your hands and roll the dough into like a snake size.
11. Cut the snake dough in half and combine how many pieces you want and
how big. Make sure to cover the rest of the pieces that are not using with a plastic
wrapping paper so it will not get dry.
12. Take one of the cut up pieces and knead for a few seconds by using your palm.
fold it together and roll it on your hands to form a ball. place it on the table or tray
surface and use your two end palms to straighten the ball tall.
13. place it back under the wrapping paper so it will not get dry.
14. Repeat the same step for each one of them.
15. cut out some square parchment or wax paper and place the black sesame
mantou on top of each one of them.
15. In a cupboard take out a steamer pot and place some cold water in it.
16. use a steamer 2 layer tray, a rack with a plate or a bamboo steamer. Place all the
black sesame mantou on the top of the steamer witch ever you are using and cover the lid.
17. Let it sit and rise for 50-1 hour
18. When the time is ready turn on the steamer and let it cook for about 30-35 min.
The time to take for boiling water and to cook it.
19. When there is 5 min left. Turn the heat off. wait for a bit.
20. Take it out and place all the black sesame Mantou on the plate and let it cool
or if you like it hot, you can eat it right away.